[Coco] Extron DVS 304 with a CoCo3

Leslie Ayling layling at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 4 06:34:38 EST 2017

Hi Frank, et al.

> There is an RGB connector that can be used with the CoCo3, but you will have to make a cable

> Hopefully the person who originally posted the info on the Exatron will post how he made a cable...

No problem. The VGA unit is the model I use with a CoCo3, but the DVI model has the same inputs.

The setup guide for the earlier VGA model is here:

https://www.extron.com/download/files/userman/68-1039-50DVS304SeriesSetupGuiderevAweb082709.pdf

I used a cheap (VGA) DB15HD <> BNC cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162500048278

which I cut the BNC plugs off to get the individual Red, Green, Blue, HSync and VSync signals and shields.

You may need to test which wires are HS and VS, the rest are colour coded.

The DB15HD end connects to input #4 on the scaler.

Pinouts on the CN3 RGB connectors I used are:

1 GND Ground

2 GND Ground

3 R Red

4 G Green

5 B Blue

6 KEY – No Pin

8 HSYNC Horizontal Sync

9 VSYNC Vertical Sync

Once wired up and turned on, I select input#4, and RGB mode.

If that is the only input you have connected, it will find it automagically.

The select the output mode you want.

A multiple of the original screen dimensions is usually best.

Video source can also be centred vertically and horizontally on the screen.

Once done, it can be saved as a preset.

It’s a broadcast quality, professional unit, with many options. Takes a little bit of time to setup and get used to.

Upgrading to the latest firmware (free download from Extron) is recommended.

As you can see, they are available at a fraction of their new coast on Ebay.

I’ll post some pics on the weekend for anyone interested (Paul Shoemaker for one).

Cheers,

Leslie