[Coco] Best emulator for Windows nowadays?

Steve Strowbridge ogsteviestrow at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 16:24:50 EDT 2017

So, back to the original question, what is "the best" emulator for Windows?

"Best" is a very subjective term, VCC, since you are running Windows, is by
far the easiest, and most user friendly, it emulates a CoCo 3, which also
runs a vast majority of CoCo 1 & 2 software, has support for multi-pack
interface, Orchestra 90 cart, floppy and hard drive controllers, and
supports Drive Wire.  There are some compatibility issues, there are things
that run on a real cocos that wont run on VCC, there are things that will
run on VCC that won't run on real CoCos.  I've heard there are some core
6309 CPU emulations glitches that affect BASIC-09 on NitrOS-9 for example,
that may never effect you.  If you're into gaming, you'll find the harsh
red and blue artifact emulation less than soothing or accurate, but it
works.  VCC does not require you to install/copy and ROM files to make it
work "out of box" and I'd give it an overall 8 out of 10 rating.

Xroar for Windows, was just updated this month, and will probably be
updated again soon.  Xroar is the _only currently and actively developed
and maintained emulator specifically for the CoCo and Dragon_  Xroar is not
multi-purpose like MAME, and we have direct access to the author who makes
frequent revisions.  You will need to drag ROM files into the program
directory, but that's a one-time shot.  It's great for DISK based games and
pack/cartridges on it, partially due to my lack of time to research the
process.  The sound issue I mentioned previously I've shared with Ciaran,
he's heard it, he's aware of it, and aware it's specific to Xroar and is
working on it.  Can't say the same for VCC at the moment.  I give Xroar a 9
out of 10 rating for compatibility, ease of use, and for pristine colour
artifact emulation that's literally scientifically accurate. The only
downside is that it's not a CoCo 3 emulator, at the moment.

MAME, is a multi-splendor beast which offers a lot of rock solid
compatibility and seems to be the developers choice as there is are
real-time debuggers, break points, watch points, etc., but MAME requires a
little work to setup and the user interface, again, far from elegant, so I
give it 9 out of 10 rating.

What's "best" for you depends on what you want to do, just play games, or
actually develop bare-metal assembly.  It should also be noted that  there
are things on MAME that don't show up there that do show up on real
hardware, the thing we recently became ware of are GIME "sparklies" that
are a by-product of the 86 GIME and don't show up on emulators but do on
real hardware.

So none are perfect, none are a complete one-stop-shop, but between the 3
choices there is something for everybody, I'm leaning towards Xroar and
MAME for both my recreation needs, and in the near future,
cross-development platform.

Steve Strowbridge, aka
The Original Gamer Stevie Strow
ogStevieStrow at gmail.com