[Coco] Bubble Memory

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Aug 15 11:01:16 EDT 2017

On Tuesday 15 August 2017 08:31:20 Bruce W. Calkins wrote:

> One of the limits to the CoCo 1 & 2 memory expansion was the inability
> to shift small-to-medium sized blocks in and out of the memory map.
> Basically it was limited to 32k mapping blocks.  This applied to the
> PBJ 128k & 256k expansions too.  That said; RAM Disks really did speed
> up many processes.
>
> Bruce W.

Debatable. I wrote a ramdisk that could use as much ram as the coco3
could spare, with my 2 meg disto kit, that was about 1.7 megabytes.

As a storage/retrieval device its speed was limited to how fast the coco3
could move data which was around 11 seconds a megabyte. Surprisingly. a
long compile, such as rzsz-3.3.6, was no faster using myram as the
scratchpad, than it was using the Maxtor 120 megabyte hard drive I was
using at the time. Both were speed limited by the same speed limit, the
coco3's ability to move the data. IOW, megaread was 11 seconds for
either media.

> On 08/14/2017 11:13 PM, Carlos Camacho wrote:
> > I feel like it was just yesterday when I opened up TCCM and read
> > that 128KB bubble memory upgrade article for the CoCo. All I could
> > think of with my 16K was, "I'll be happy with a 32KB piggy back...
> > 128KB was insane...who in their mind would need so much memory?"
> >
> > Carlos Camacho

That was the last gasp of bubble memories life. Dram prices were falling
like a rock, rotating media was getting faster, and even the 120 meg
maxtor drive spent tied to a disto 4n1 spent a good share of its time
waiting on the coco just a couple years later. I sure as tootin wasn't
about to put any money into what was obviously a dead tech. IIRC 130
megabytes of bubble would have cost in the thousands, if you could find
it surplus. They never made enough to have a surplus to sell out was the
impression I got at the time. :(

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)