[Coco] Booting OS9 on my CoCo 3

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Tue Aug 8 20:09:21 EDT 2017

> Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
> Tue Aug 8 12:58:42 EDT 2017
>
> Ok, I just burned a ROM with 'dw4dos_mb_cc3.rom'. I installed it in my
> CoCo and when I boot up the screen says, "DW3 CC3 BOOT FAILED". I don't
> have a serial cable made up yet but should I assume that's ok so far?
> Even though the file is called "dw4dos..." the screen is saying DW3.
>
> Dave

For Drivewire you might want this rom instead of the NitrOS9 boot only ROM you are currently using. This ROM will also boot NitrOS9 using the DOS command, but will also allow access to Drivewire from Extended Color BASIC.

Here is the rom file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RnV5G0TZFZTm9nbVJnaEVnOUk/view?usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RnV5G0TZFZTm9nbVJnaEVnOUk/view?usp=sharing>

Here is a copy on a disk image in both ROM and loadable BIN format, just LOADM and exec
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RnV5G0TZFZcEVac0dtWUxVU1E/view?usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RnV5G0TZFZcEVac0dtWUxVU1E/view?usp=sharing>
LOADM"HDBDW3C3.BIN”
EXEC

This is a cassette WAV file, load it on your mobile phone or laptop and play it to the CoCo’s cassette interface.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RnV5G0TZFZeUxtOXhEN3dzbjg/view?usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RnV5G0TZFZeUxtOXhEN3dzbjg/view?usp=sharing>

These are all for a CoCo 3, although the disk image above contains versions for other types of CoCo systems as well.

Here is the wiring information on how to create a cable. If you don’t have a 4 pin din plug, if you can find some thick solid wire you can cut 4 short pieces to use as pins and just stick them into the CoCo serial socket.

http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/images/d/da/CoCo-serial-cable.png <http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/images/d/da/CoCo-serial-cable.png>

Here is a good resource for more information about Drivewire…

http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started_with_DriveWire <http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started_with_DriveWire>