[Coco] Booting OS9 on my CoCo 3

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Tue Aug 8 14:26:36 EDT 2017

Hi Dave,
Since you are trying to use the floppy drive for the first time is years, I don't suppose you can make a disk image of this floppy so I can test it in my 512KB Coco 3?  Do you have a PC with a 3.5" floppy drive you can use to make the disk image file?
I don't remember how much memory was left over after booting the Original OS-9 master boot disk in a 128KB Coco 3 because it has just been too long ago.  The number 8KB does come to mind.  It wouldn't have been much more than that.  I can say that after booting one of the recent release disks from earlier versions of NitrOS-9 that I could take a directory listing but I definitely could NOT run format much less start up a ramdisk.  So I would concur that for that particular OS-9 master boot disk with ramdisk you mentioned, you will definitely need at least 512KB of ram to get it to boot and run on your Coco 3.
Now, if you can get Drivewire 4 running on your PC or Linux box and connect it up to your 128KB Coco 3, you should be able to get one of the current unaltered NitrOS-9 release disk images to boot.  Of course that is about all you can do with 128KB, but at least you could dir all your 3.5" disks.
If you need me to help you put something special together to boot the 128KB Coco 3, then I can create a floppy only version of NitrOS-9 so you can test your new hardware setup.  I could also grab the original OS-9 master boot disk and send it to you if that's what you would like to use.
Let me know what you think.  I'll help you in any way I can.  Take care my friend.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc