[Coco] GCC6809 cross compiler, assembler & linker

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 13:46:24 EDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Kip Koon wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I have been tracking y'all's email conversations about GCC6809.  I didn't know there were 3 different
> versions of it!  Several years back, I had GCC6809 running in Cygwin originally.  It took while and quite a
>bit

There have been many hands on it over the years, from Tom Jones in
1992, Matthias Dörfel in 1999, before Brian Dominy in 2009 and now our
William Astle and David Flamand.

> of effort to figure it all out.  I went back and forth on the internet to try to find something that would work.  Ultimately I did get GCC6809 running.  Because of all the difficulty compiling, installing and getting GCC6809 to run on Cygwin, I hadn't even considered trying it again.  That is until now.
> So my question is which version of GCC6809 should I try?
> Tormod, would your version of GCC6809 compile, install and run successfully on Cygwin and Debian as it does on Ubuntu?

You can use my PPA with Debian, just add the source list entries for
"trusty" to your /etc/apt/sources.list, and apt-get update && apt-get
install gcc6809. That's the easiest you can do.

It should compile on Cygwin but as you have experienced it might take
some effort.

The version in my PPA is basically the one from William, which is
based on Brian's and ported to LWTOOLS. David's is also based on
Brian's and is using David's own linker. I haven't tried building that
one so I cannot help much there.

> I now have a 64 bit version of Cygwin called Cygwin64 running on my primary Windows 7 installation on my laptop.  I also recently installed the latest version of Debian Linux which is v9.1 if memory serves on an old HP Mini-tower.  It works quite nicely by the way.  I have all 3 serial ports of my MAXI09 connected to the Linux box so I can access the MAXI09 board through my network.  It is quite cool to see that happen.  The Debian Linux box was setup so I would have the same development platform as Lawrence Manning's setup in England.  Having identical  Linux setups makes the software development a lot easier to manage.  So, Cygwin64 and Debian are the 2 Linux installations I would like to put GCC6809 on as soon as I can figure out which one to use.
> Tormod, what is your expert opinion as to which GCC6809 package is the best one to compile, install and run an these 2 Linux installations?

Cygwin != Linux :) And if you have a Linux installation, why would you
punish yourself with Cygwin?

> I would also be interested in any Linux software that y'all are able to successfully port over to NitrOS-9/OS-9.  Take care my friends.

For those who want to run Linux'y, or rather, older UNIX software, on
the CoCo and Dragon, FUZIX is maybe a better route to go.

Tormod