[Coco] On John Linnville's Color Computer Game Master Cartridge Design

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 21:19:07 EDT 2017

Especially if you hit the surplus market, where you can find some very good deals
on common CPLDs.  Not too long ago I scored 500 9572XL VQFP-64’s for ~10 cents
each, in trays, sealed.  That’s the exception, but a buck or so for that part is not so unusual,
and it can replace a lot of TTL.

Being able to alter much of the design after production without any board changes as you
mention is a HUGE plus, allowing fixes and improvements after the fact.

Once you get past the learning curve on using them, I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t
like CPLDs, except for the purity thing, which I do get.  The 5v tolerant ones are ideal for
interfacing to these old machines.

- Ed