[Coco] CocoNIC

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 04:46:18 EDT 2016

Jim, I took Barry to mean just that: drivewire over tcp. So the stack would
be like this:

Hdbdos
drivewire
tcp
ip
ethernet
coconic
(Ancillary needed protocols: arp, and maybe dhcp)

So what Barry's suggesting is mostly a software thing.  Here's the fun
part:  Hdbdos is out of ROM space and RAM space... banking is a solution to
ROM.  the lack of RAM may be a harder nut to crack.

Given your c64 experience, and our quite smaller pool of programmers, I
wouldn't do more on the hardware end until our programmers *prove* they can
hold up their part of the bargain! :)

Cheers, and thanks for all your hard work.

brett

On Sep 16, 2016 10:47 PM, "RETRO Innovations" <go4retro at go4retro.com> wrote:

> On 9/16/2016 10:09 AM, Barry Nelson wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be useful to have a HDBDOS in ROM that uses the NIC to
talk to a DriveWire server over the becker port protocol.

> Does it have to be the becker protocol?  While that protocol is simple on
the FPLGA side, putting that into real HW is a serious pain (you need
something on the otehr side of the port to watch the IO, and then marshall
the bytes into the packet, sending the packet when done (whatever "done"
means).  Any chance the hdbdos could could be modified to do tcp/ip
directly?