[Coco] MCI

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Mon Sep 12 22:45:04 EDT 2016

On 8/30/2016 10:02 AM, Camillus_gmail wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>

> What is the status of your 8 port MCI, any progress?
>
> Thanks
>
> cb

At the show, John Mark provided a nice suggestion for the design of
additional ports, and I am considering adding it.

His suggestion was that ports above 4 be much more isolated from the bus
than ports 1-4.  Namely, for ports 5+, if the port is not selected, the
card would not see any address or data activity (maybe tie the address
lines to all 1 and read to 1, but leave the clocks there in case the
unit needed long term timing. hold SCS and CART at 1 as well).  SLENB
and other cart outputs should be OK unbuffered, but buffered should not
hurt them.

I like the idea because the Coco peripheral space has some serious
challenges.  Cards that don't honor SCS, some that overstep their
address spaces, etc.

Since I have a bit of extra room in the CPLD, it's easy to add there.
The ~32 bits of buffering I need per port might be a bit non trivial, though

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com