[Coco] Glenside IDE + Multi-Pak + HDB-DOS

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Mon Sep 12 00:41:10 EDT 2016

If you are using a Y-cable and not a Multipak, the Floppy controller mirrors its addresses from FF40-FF4F to FF50-FF5F so you would want to use FF70-FF7F for the Glenside IDE controller. I don't think I would want one of these contraptions connected to my CoCo without adding some additional address decode patches to eliminate some of the conflicts. Since the Glenside IDE only needs FF70-FF77 or FF50-FF57, I would first add circuit to disable the cards I/O for addresses FFx8-FFxF. Since the card as currently designed additionally does not fully honor the Multipak select lines, I would either fix it so it did and update the drivers as appropriate, or at a minimum definitely support at least the two address options. Otherwise that ugly hack is not getting ANYWHERE NEAR my CoCo 3!

PS: The floppy controller I use on my CoCo 3 is hardware patched to eliminate the FF50-FF5F address selection, so it only responds to FF40-FF4F. This has caused zero compatibility issues in 20+ years of use. I did this using a couple of diodes and a resistor.