[Coco] Glenside IDE + Multi-Pak + HDB-DOS

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Sep 11 17:24:38 EDT 2016

Mark J. Blair wrote:
> I apologize if I seem pedantic, but we seem to be talking at right angles, Bill. I know how to jumper the Glenside IDE hardware. My question is specifically about Boisy's comment in the HDB-DOS source code from Toolshed which states:
>
> "note that the Glenside IDE controller does NOT work with an MPI using this current version of HDB-DOS"
>
> My question is:
>
> Is the addressing conflict at $FF7F the *ONLY* reason behind that comment in the HDB-DOS source code?
>
> I suppose I can also ask a related question: Why would a user without an MPI "probably want to use the 16-bit $FF7x driver"? Wouldn't the $FF5x configuration work in all cases?
>
> My motivation for asking these pedantic questions is that I'm designing a compact Glenside-IDE-compatible CF card adapter with ROM to fit in the lovely SuperPak cases, and I want to fully understand any compatibility issues so I can maximize its utility to anybody who might be interested in it. I'm left wondering whether there's a real need for it to support the $FF7x base address at all. Eliminating an unnecessary configuration switch would very slightly decrease cost and complexity.

Guys,

The issue with the Glenside controller probably is not caused by the MPI
"reflecting" addresses at $FF7x. There looks to be some timing issue, maybe in
the HDBDOS code. Boisy mentions READ problems not WRITE ones.

While this is not exactly the same as I have a Ken-Ton controller rather than
the Glenside IDE, with my MPI system the hard drives are addressed in the $FF7x
range with my Disto SCII controller set to the alternate $FF5x range.

Robert