[Coco] Midi and synther

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Nov 18 23:54:49 EST 2016

On Friday 18 November 2016 14:44:35 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> Michael, I think there was a program that allowed you to use the Coco
> as a keyboard to MIDI, but I don't think I've seen a copy. I don't
> even remember the name. I'm pretty sure it was an upload to Delphi and
> not a commercial product. On the other hand, Coco MIDI Pro will record
> MIDI in real time (MIDIPak Only), and if I'm not mistaken, allows you
> to input notes from the Coco keyboard in real time. Coco MIDI Pro DOES
> allow real time recording from the MIDI keyboard with full velocity,
> channel pressure, pitch wheel, etc. The problem with this whole idea,
> is the Coco can only interpret certain key combos. Some keys cannot be
> pressed together. I think they are keys in the same row or column as
> the coco cant read two keys in the same row or column. In this I'm
> talking about the internal keyboard matrix and not the physical layout
> of the keys. So chords are out. Only single note input would be
> possible. Also, no velocity would be possible as there's no way of
> computing how hard the key was pressed. Anyway, such a program would
> be very easy to write.

I wasn't even attempting to use the coco's keyboard, but the keyboard on
the cz-101, which does send that out the midi out port, tested by
slaving the mt-240 to it, the mt-240 played it too, with only the
tinyest hint of the Floyd Cramer rolling keypress to the timing.  From
the symptoms I was able to capture, even the deluxe 232 pack was being
overrun at 31250 baud as after the first character, the data turned to
mush. And stayed that way until a half second or so of all keys up
allowed it to flush the rx buffer. I thought of installing a 16 byte
fifo to act as a rubber band between the acia, and the coco3. and got
about half done with a schematic. Doing it in discrete logic was just
going to take too much real estate.  Today I expect we could do that in
a 200k gate fpga & some wider max-232's for not more than a twenty in
parts, farming out the board and small enough we could just about put 4
midi jacks sitting flush with the top surface of the mpi.  The fifo? Not
needed when the 16550 core has a 16 byte buffer. That core we could
license but no clue how much a copy. I've other irons in the fire, but
someone interested, like Ed, you Bill P. or Jim could probably have a
working prototype in under 60 days.

Sell enough to pay the builder 50 cents an hour? Thats the $32
question. ;-) And quite likely explains why it hasn't been done yet.
:-(

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)