[Coco] reset behavior suggestions?

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sun Nov 13 12:09:28 EST 2016

On 11/13/2016 8:13 AM, Zippster wrote:

> The first, and simplest option that pops into my head is to execute the currently selected ROM image on
> a machine reset, and require a power cycle to go back to the cart menu (power button).
> This is probably what I would go with in a situation like this just to keep it simple and intuitive.
We considered that, but it's tough to store which cart was active (Coco
memory can;t be used, as you can't guarantee a safe spot, and I need to
reset the "bank" register in the CPLD to ensure the menu runs.  I don't
have a safe place in the CPLD to store the bank register

> Thinking of Art’s suggestion of holding a key down to select which type of reset…
>
> If you have a way of preserving the start address of the currently selected ROM image on the board through a
> reset, you could have a reset execute your main menu code, and from there check for the key being depressed.
> If it is, execute the last used ROM image immediately, if not, run the menu (or vise versa).

If I knew of a 2 byte location I could guarantee was free, I would.

Jim