[Coco] How Many OR90s can be utilized?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Nov 12 01:14:42 EST 2016

Jim, with all the "voice mixing" that goes on to combine 4 and 5 voices in a normal Coco music program, I don't see why you couldn't output straight to several ports instead of mixing.
If the music program does like orch90 and preconfigures the frequencies for the whole song (the "SCORE" function), the output would be a mater of reading x number of bytes, each being sent to a port.
I think 6 or 8 could possibly done. But of course this would be a music only program... no "background" sound for games or anything. And as you know, the ports would need separate addresses, preferrably inline.
In the CocoFPGA, Gary implemented 16-bit dacs. They will run as stereo 8-bit normally, but writing to two extra addresses (along with the first 2) causes it to go into stereo 16 bit mode. I've yet to experiment as there's no 16-bit software for the Coco, so I need to find some good samples to play with. Of course ther CocoFPGA can run at 25mhz with 4 meg of memory available, so that helps :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com