[Coco] Hello and does anyone remember DFT?

Glen Hewlett glen.hewlett at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 11 15:26:00 EST 2016

> Hello All,
>
> A little of my Coco history since this is my first post to the mailing list…
>
> I’m an old CoCo nut, my first Coco was a Coco 1 with 16K and Extended Basic and I also owned a Coco 3.  I wrote a couple of programs “back in the day” that was useful to people using modems and visiting BBS's.  One was called “DSHRINK.BIN" which would shrink a complete disk using

Hey! I remember those!

> The program I’m looking for was named DFT, I think there was a DFT 3.5 and a DFT 4.0 if I remember correctly I used to always call it Disk File Transfer, but I think the real name was Direct File Transfer.  This was a program that was great for

I remember DFT. Someone sent me a copy of it via the "DLOAD" command on my CoCo 1. I remember using it a lot in Houston, but then "XMODEM" came out and it seemed like light speed in comparison.

Now I wonder what the protocol was for DFT.

I do not know if I have any of my original CoCo tapes, but if I find my box, I may very well have a copy of DFT (if the tape still reads). I will keep that in mind this winter when I start going through my stuff again.

What is the desire for DFT?

		-- A

Hi Allen,

Thanks for getting back to me.  The main reason I want the program is to play with it again a trip down memory lane copying some disk programs to tape and some tape programs to disks and to know this program isn't gone forever.  There are a handful of programs that I used all the time when I was young and this was one of them.  I found the rest but DFT I can’t find…

Cheers,
Glen