[Coco] OS9

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Fri May 20 03:42:46 EDT 2016

Hi Dave,
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your Floppy/Hard drive controller board.  I would like to get a PT68K-4 and/or an MM/1 someday.
In the beginning of my 68K SBC search on the internet, I saw both 68000 and 68008 projects.  I originally wanted to breadboard a 68000 SBC, but then I saw 68008 SBCs which really interested me because there were typically less chips involved.  I perused several 68K SBC sites some with 68000s and others with 68008s.
Then I found 2 sites that booted a version of linux from eprom or flash called uClinux.  One was a 68008 design and the other was a 68000.  I chose the 68008 version since it required fewer ICs and therefore a simpler design.  The problem was most of his design was hand written so I was not sure if it was all there or not.  Other designs used cplds which I have not learned how to use yet which of course cut WAY DOWN on the chip count.
Then I found a site called "My Attempts to Build a 68K SBC" about a little 68008 SBC on breadboard which looked exactly like what I wanted to build so I read thought the entire web site.  I liked the way he explained how he went about wiring and testing each little section of his breadboarded 68K SBC design he was putting together.
I contacted Roger Hanson about his 68K SBC to learn if he had progressed further into his design as it did not seem finished if I remember correctly.  He had gotten to a point which he could not figure out something so he was stuck.  I think it was how to implement interrupts so uClinux was definitely out up to that point.  Come to think of it, he did have a little monitor program running.
The uCLinux software suite is basically Linux without an MMU so it would run on 8-bit microprocessors and microcontrollers.  One day, I found a guy who had successfully booted uClinux on a one chip microcontroller!  It was an 8-BIT ATMEL chip!!!  It took over 3 hours to get to the linux command prompt.  He had written a 32-bit emulator that then executed the uClinux software.  It was Wild!  Maybe a bit impractical but very impressive to say the least.
Then in one of his emails to me he suggested going to retrobrewcomputers.org for one of their 680xx designs.  Then I remembered the Mini-68000 board I had bought to build along with the Multifunction/PIC board which provides I/O and storage capabilities.  They are 3U size boards so the I/O could not fit on the Mini-68000 CPU board.
The folks on retrobrewcomputers.org seem to be primarily interested in CP/M so the mini-68000 boots up with CP/M 68K after the initial testing software is successful.  I must say though that new OSes seem to be creeping onto the scene like Fuzix which runs on the Mark IV Z180 based board.  CP/M is certainly ok, but I really would like OS-9 68K or as I was politely informed - OSK.  I think "OSK" loses some of its appeal and nostalgia.  I prefer OS-9 68K, but then I always did like longer more descriptive titles for things.  <Grin>
So now I am in the middle of populating the Mini-68000 and the MF/PIC boards.  I paused on the breadboarding of the 68008 for now.  I did successfully get a 68008 to free run as a CPU Test.  It was really cool seeing my very first 68008 to come to life even if it was just blinking an LED with the entire data bus grounded.  <Grin>  I still would like to see uClinux run on that 68008 even if there is no storage.  Well, that is where I am at this point.  I'd like to hear more about your 68K projects.  Please keep me informed.  It would help me greatly in my 68K journey.  Take care my friend.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com