[Coco] This may be of interest to FPGA devs, ZX-UNO

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 26 22:34:33 EDT 2016

On 27/03/2016 1:02 PM, Francis Swygert wrote:

> So you can't use it without buying more add-on boards.

That's the thing, there are so many options around these days - and some
of them just a flash in the pan - that you're far better off finding a
board that already has _everything_ you need built in rather than opting
for the cheapest core and adding to it.

Of course there are also several purpose-built microcomputer emulation
boards, such as C-One, OCM, Minimig, Mist, Replay, MCC, Suska, TC64 and
probably more I'm not aware of. The advantage of the TerASIC DE boards
is that there are already quite a few cores available and a decent user
base, so they're likely to be supported in future.

And if it's Coco3FPGA or Roger Taylor's version you're specifically
interested in, know that they'll be easier to port to other Altera
platforms (as opposed to Xilinx). Of course it can be done, but the
clocking and on-chip memory, and the tools of course, differ and can in
_some_ circumstances cause issues when porting.

Regards,