[Coco] toolshed beta release

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Mar 20 13:59:54 EDT 2016

Tormod. The problem is that you're so intent on questioning the validity of the current method of booting OS9 from hdbdos, that you missed the whole point of the question.

First, the toolshed decb command WILL produce an RSDOS muti-disk image. No, not the "hacked" (as you call it) dual partition image that almost EVERY nitros9 user still currently using nitros9 is using to boot nitros9, though it will produce this as well, but that's another story for another time.
It produces an RSDOS disk that contains mutiple disk images in one disk image file. The command is:

decb dskini yourdisk.vhd -h256

This command produces a 256 disk image formatted for rsdos (no magic os9 offset, just rsdos).

The question was... how hard would it be to add a backup command to toolshed's decb that would allow the user to copy an entire disk, sector by sector, to one of these disk images. This cannot be done with current toolshed tools. Yes, you can copy it file by file, but that would miss any hidden sectors or in my original intent, the os9 boot track. And toolshed's os9 command will not copy to one of these images.
For example... If I had a 35trk nitros9 bootdisk that I wanted on virtual disk 255 (created by the above command), there is no way to do this in toolshed.
As you said, the capability is there in the core code. There's just not a backup command to allow the user to accomplish this.

All I try to do is to try and make things simpler for those who want to actually use rsdos & nitros9... not just develope it. But I guess I'm just stupid or something...

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com