[Coco] CCR-82 Cassette Player - BELTS info

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Mar 19 01:08:01 EDT 2016

On Friday 18 March 2016 23:37:16 Rogelio Perea wrote:

> Finally got a chance to open one of my CCR-82 tape machines, motor
> spins (whirr clearly heard) but no action on the capstan nor the well
> drive spindles... the bels are done for.
>
> The recorder has three belts in there, the diameters I got were:
>
> Main belt (from motor to capstan flywheel): 68mm / square profile 2mm
> wide
>
> Drive belt (from capstan flywheel to reels drive): 46mm / square 1.5mm
> wide
>
> Counter belt: 29mm / square 1mm wide
>
> Tomorrow I am heading to my friendly electronics surplus store where I
> know they stock belts, will get a few (usually I take the next size
> down due to the belts stretching overtime) and fit test for the better
> ones on my CC-82, report on the findings.

One of the things I have been known to do when the belts have stretched
to slack but not broken, has been to cut clean with a razor blade, a
1/4" long piece out of them and superglue the remaining ends back
together.  I have a dvd drive whose tray belt was fixed like that about
7 or 8 years ago, and still worked well the last time I needed the drive
for a linux install.  And somewhere in my coco drive collection is a
flat belt spindle drive belt similarly patched.  I am amazed the
superglue holds as well as it does, considerinig the teeny butt spliced
cross sectional area's involved.  Takes a steady hand to hold it long
enough for the glue to grab though, something I'm no longer sure I could
do.

> -- RP

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)