[Coco] Obvious newbie question?

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sun Jun 26 20:00:33 EDT 2016

Well, you could also use one of the many CoCo emulators to create the wav file on a PC. VCC supports creating cassette wav files. There are also utilities that will convert tape files from other CoCo emulators that are not in audio format into wav files, or you could download existing files, or have someone email them to you. The possibilities are endless. The CoCo doesn't care how the sound got to it's audio input port or how it was stored or recorded, it just cares if it hears the right frequencies it can decode as binary. I usually store the audio as mp3 so it takes up less space than a wav, and I may either record the file from VCC or from the actual CoCo using it's cassette cable, recording it onto my phone. Just like the old cassette recorders, you may need to adjust the volume so the recording will load when played back. I have also been able to record cassette programs on my CoCo 3 after doing the double speed poke (POKE 65497,0) and load them back in at double speed after doing the same poke. I have to remember which programs I saved this way, since they will not load again without me doing the speed poke again first. Once they are loaded, I do a POKE 65496,0 to return to normal speed. This cuts the load time in half, which is especially useful for large programs.