[Coco] Glenside IDE controller

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Jun 25 15:32:48 EDT 2016

The problem with booting from hard drive is in the dos command itself as well as the "boot" module.
The "boot" module needs to know where the OS9boot file is so it can load it. The dos command loads Krn, Boot, and Rel (the boot track).
The dos command in Basic expects that track on track 34 of a floppy. Basic would have to have access to the hard drive for and form of dos command to work.
There have been several methods of "booting from hard drive", but each had it's own modification to basic to make it work. To me, that easiest was RGBDOS (which is now HDBDOS) which boots from any of the 256 "virtual" basic disks (on the hard drive) into NitrOS9. You just create a bootdisk on a drive on a virtual disk (I use 255) and HDBDOS recognizes "AUTOEXEC.BAS" which it runs (if found on drive 0) after startup form the 256 disk RSDOS partition, which points the dos command to the Nitros9 boot disk and boots. Once the bootrack is loaded, the "boot modules has to know to look on the OS9 partition for the os9boot file.
Burke & Burke used a different method by also supplying their own boot rom as well as a "variable size" RSDOS disk system for accessing the HD from RSDOS.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com