[Coco] Fwd: IP packets on my coco

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Jun 16 19:32:46 EDT 2016

On 6/16/2016 4:30 PM, Brett Gordon wrote:
> Jim, which design did you end up using?  esp8862 w/ spi?

I admit I took the easy way out.  Since I am very confident the cs8900a
will work, I sent that design to prototype.  I figured:

  * It offers folks like yourself the best way to get the unit going ,
    as you can beg/borrow/steal working code, and I can test here with
    C64 units if you write the code in C and need to verify.
  * I have all the parts, no guesswork needed on magnetics and such.
    Thus, I am more confident of a working product on round 1.
  * Migrating the code from cs8900a to rtl8019 is trivial
  * Migrating the code to esp8266 should mainly be a "both ends to the
    middle effort"  Given working cs8900a code, and given the specifics
    of the esp8266, what code is needed to glue the two together?  Write
    that code and then design the board to implement that.  I am still
    struggling with my CPLD SPI code, and I need to rewrite the esp code
    to do SPI as well, so there's some significant time needed.

In all, the cs8900a can generate bragging rights (Hey, I have a Coco on
the Internet with Ethernet) for someone the fastest, and most of the
code is useful long term (little throwaway code)

Jim