[Coco] Diecom light gun adapter

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 09:02:23 EDT 2016

Yes, from what I was reading, there are two different systems using this
general type of light gun.

One calculates positioning information by drawing an entire field in white,
using the timing of the display scan, and when light is seen by the gun to
determine which part of the screen is being pointed at.  The compatibility
issue here is that LCDs don’t scan left to right and top to bottom like a CRT,
as well as latency.

The other, which seems to be more common, draws the potential targets in a field
when the trigger is pressed (in white), and if the gun sees light, it was pointed at the
target.  The issue here just being latency.

The timing is of course very tight and has to be accurate in this type of system,
so the latency of an LCD display breaks it.

Possibly the portions of software dealing with the timing could be rewritten to
compensate for the delay, presuming a similar delay between LCD screens.

Otherwise a different system using IR sensors for positioning like a modern console
would be the way to go, but then there’d be nothing written for it.

- Ed