[Coco] Hello from a serious newbie/beginner!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Jun 15 12:51:29 EDT 2016

Paulo, being a Windows user, I have very few "command line" options that's available to the Linux users (though MinGW etc could be used), so I do all my programming/developement in VCC. I use 99% Nitros9 and the Microware C compiler with the RMA assembler system.
I have real Cocos but find VCC gives me the option to overclock the CPU which speeds up C compilation by abou 2000%!! (@ 75mhz) The overclocking also speeds up screen refreshes on my graphics based text editor (Ed 3.1) for fast scrolling and instant page flipping.
I do not aim my software to run on this platform as I aim for the real Coco 3.
My VCC emulator is linked to DriveWire4 through the "Becker Port" as are my Cocos, which allows me to share VHDs between the Emulator and the Cocos. I can in a matter of less than a minute, compile my project, link the VHD to my Coco3, then test the program in the real environment.
With everything tied together, my MShell file manager allows me to transfer files to/from my PC HD, the Emulator VHDs, and my Coco's Glenside IDE HD in seconds.
Some people seem to frown on me using VCC at 75mhz, but then rave about running the CocoFPGA at 25 mhz (I don't get it??).
Doing the development this way, I stay in the Coco environment but get the speed of my PC. This way I get to use all the same software I used in the 80s :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com