[Coco] Fwd: IP packets on my coco

Christopher R. Hawks chawks at dls.net
Fri Jun 10 18:27:45 EDT 2016

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 18:03:22 -0400
Brett Gordon <beretta42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The "soft" interrupts (aka polling) that nitros uses is indeed 60 hz.
>
> Brett M Gordon
> On Jun 10, 2016 4:52 PM, "Dave Philipsen" <dave at davebiz.com> wrote:
>
> > So I have a question since it has been many years since I wrote an
> > OS9 device driver.  If the driver is written to poll the device
> > instead of being interrupt driven, how often will it poll the
> > device to check for the necessity to service it? Once each tick?
> >
> > Dave Philipsen

    So you'd have to (theoretically) process 20,833 byes each poll at 10
Mbits/Sec (slowest wired ethernet speed). Slowest WiFi is 11 Mbits/Sec,
so add 10%.

    I know that actual data transfer speeds are about 1/2 the max, but,
that's still a lot of data. Big hardware buffers?

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft
--
the sand remembers