[Coco] Fwd: IP packets on my coco

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Fri Jun 10 03:13:44 EDT 2016

On 6/10/2016 2:08 AM, Dave Philipsen wrote:
> I agree.  It's a slight disadvantage (the double abstraction).  I just
> wanted to make sure you saw all of the features to make a meaningful
> comparison.
>
> I personally still like the idea of the ESP8266.  The only ethernet
> jack I have in my house is downstairs at the server box. We do
> everything wifi.  And I'm guessing that's the way most households are
> nowadays. And, frankly, at least for right now I don't see myself
> doing anything much more complicated than checking email,
> up/downloading via ftp, etc. with my CoCo.  The biggest need I see is
> an untethered method of loading / saving / organizing files.  And I
> bought several of these little ESP8266 cards for about 2 bucks
> apiece.  You really can't beat that.  And, perhaps it's something that
> can be modified for the future if/when the CoCo gets into networking
> heavily.
I'm rooting for your position.

I would prefer to find someone who could help me move the esp interface
from RS232 to SPI, just because that would mean I can spin a board with
just a CPLD and the ESP, rather than a CPLD, UART, and ESP.  Plus, it
would allow the system to be more determinant (the Coco would always
drive the comms).