[Coco] Fwd: IP packets on my coco

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Wed Jun 8 12:38:23 EDT 2016

On 6/7/2016 4:16 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 12:40:29AM -0500, RETRO Innovations wrote:
>> On 6/7/2016 12:31 AM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>>> What the ????
>>>
>>> I see the board image but it quickly is replaced with (Soft Porn?)
>> Hmmm, not sure what is going on there...  It didn't do that for me, but
>> postimage looks to be putting ads on the side...
>>
>> Anyway, here is another version, off my web site, no ads:
>>
>> http://go4retro.com/downloads/CocoNIC.png
> Ah...well, that is very tempting.  What do I have to do to get one??
>
> John

No big deal to get one prototyped.  The main question is:

rtl8019 or cs8900a

  * cs8900a pros
      o a bit more code available from the 65XX crowd
      o Slightly easier to produce, as I have all parts here.
      o AutoCRC?
  * cons
      o No IRQ capability.  You must poll for all packets
      o More expensive to produce (cs8900a is ~$10/pc)
  * rtl8019 pros
      o IRQ capability
      o A bit cheaper to produce ($rtl8019 is ~$5.00/pc)
  * cons
      o A bit less code from the 6XXX crowd
      o A bit tougher to produce, as I need to source the parts (not a
        huge deal)
      o No AutoCRC?

I know the 65XX crowd laments the lack of cs8900a IRQ, but the design is
proven.  So, I leave it up to the community.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com