[Coco] Conway's game of life

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Jul 31 17:05:07 EDT 2016

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a Rainbow article that implements the game of life in BASIC.
> I'm fairly sure I read such an article as a kid, but can't find it in the
> index or by doing text searches on scanned magazines.  Maybe it was in a
> book?  I found a couple assembly
> language articles, but nothing in BASIC.  I'm mostly interested in the
> article text, not the
> program.  Anybody remember?
>
> -Aaron

Aaron,

I believe you want "The Meaning of Life" by William Barden, The Rainbow, June
1986, p. 196-205. There is a discussion of the "game" first introduced in
Scientific American, a listing for a Basic version, and a listing for an ml version.
Unfortunately the ml listing also includes the addresses and hexadecimal code so
you won't be able to cut and paste the source into an editor-assembler.

Robert