[Coco] Max baud rate for 68681 in MM/1?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Jan 31 23:35:33 EST 2016

On 01/31/2016 09:38 PM, Dave Philipsen wrote:
> I'm not sure if Motorola (Freescale) even produces the 68C681 anymore
> but the ones I used were the Exar 44PLCC parts.  The datasheet is a
> little misleading when it says that maximum bit rate with a 16x clock
> is 125 Kb/s because later the sheet says the maximum clock frequency
> is 7.372 MHz which would yield a bit rate of 460.75 Kb/s. I would
> hazard a guess and say that the Exar 68C681 is quite capable of that
> speed and I can say for sure that none of the parts I bought ever
> failed to work with a 4 MHz clock and 250 Kb/s bit rate.

FWIW, I still have 17 Signetics 68681C1A44 parts that were intended for
MM/1 I/O boards in the '90s, most of which never got assembled. I
assembled boards, but never looked too deeply into the specifics of how
that chip was used there.  In those days, 34,800 would have been plenty
adequate, since a 14.4 modem would have been the fastest thing I would
have been able to hook up to it.  I guess I need to delve into the
schematics and data sheets.  I was hoping someone on the list might just
have an answer.

JCE