[Coco] Desired RESET behavior - EEPROM std?

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sun Jan 31 22:40:33 EST 2016

On 1/31/2016 3:47 AM, Mark McDougall wrote:
> On 30/01/2016 4:11 PM, RETRO Innovations wrote:
>
>> Now to order the EEPROM.  What size did you prefer?
>
> The bigger the better IMHO. They should all have the same footprint,
> so what you choose should be easy to change if need be.
true enough.  I ordered a batch of 8kB EEPROMs, as after that the price
jumped up a bit (well, relatively, all of the serial EEPROMs were cheap).

> I was thinking of proposing some type of "standard" for the Coco's use
> of the EEPROM, so that multi-carts can share it.
I figuredas much.

> I was thinking, for example, of a 4-byte tag (eg. "COCO" or "CCEE") at
> the start which denoted that the EEPROM was initialised and conformed
> to the "standard". Anything else would mean either uninitialised or
> used by something else.
>
> What follows then are chunks of game-specific data, with a standard
> header. eg. A 2-byte tag that identifies the game and a 2-byte length.
> Games can then simply search the EEPROM for their own data, and create
> a chunk if not found.
>
> A simple "standard" Coco app could be used for EEPROM maintenance;
> deleting chunks no longer used and "defragging" if required.
>
> I've used similar (albeit slightly more sophisticated) schemes in the
> past for commercial applications.
>
> I'm reserving the "LR" tag! ;)
It must be a Coco insider joke I am not privy to, but go for it.

With the SPI register in place, it looks like I am only 83% full on the
95144xl.  I suspect I need to do a bit more tweaking on the SPI register
to make it work perfectly, but I'll need the parts to arrive before I
can test. I *could* wire up an AVR to test, but am lazy and the parts
will be here in a few days (gotta love Digikey)

Jim