[Coco] a désigne document about BASIC for the 8080 & 6800- Microsoft

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 05:59:04 EST 2016

As Mr. Evans says, limited resources just about forces an interpreter. The
sad part is that the interpreter persisted after the constraints were gone,
leaving people without reasonable control or data structures, without local
variables, and having to contort their code (packing as much as possible on
each line because line numbers use up memory, finagling variable references
so that the interpreter's linear search symbol table lookup didn't take
quite as long on frequently-referenced variables) to deal with the
interpreter's limitations--though none of that got rid of the overhead of
having to interpret each statement each time it was executed. (Didn't
people also store numeric values in variables to avoid making the
interpreter rescan and reconvert them from text over and over?)