[Coco] MAME 0.169 problems with floppies was Re: MAME 0.169 Not booting NitrOS-9 images

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Jan 23 21:00:13 EST 2016

Barry Nelson wrote:
>   I will acknowledge this bug and will try to see what I can do to fix it. It will take some time though. I have not touched the mess code base since 2013.
>
>> Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
>> Thu Jan 21 12:43:08 EST 2016
>> Support for the Coco in MESS is essentially non-existent so posting a Bug Report
>> is unlikely to be answered.
>>
>> Robert

OK! I've found a workaround which may shine some light on this very irritating
problem.

If you want, for example, Coco3h emulation to run with floppies, you will need
disk11.rom in the ROM directory but don't mount anything the the Cart slot.
If you want to use RGBDOS, you will need to rename the rgbdos.rom to disk11.rom
and again do not mount the ROM in the cart slot.
MAME/MESS will complain that the ROMs don't match and ask you to enter OK. When
you do, RGBDOS will start and there will also be floppies present.

If you mount anything in the cart slot, even disk11.rom, you will not have
floppies with coco3h emulation running.

The behavior is slightly different and closer to normal with Coco2, and Coco2b
emulation.

Robert