[Coco] MAME 0.169 Not booting NitrOS-9 images

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Jan 20 09:51:46 EST 2016

BootLoop2Dope Doll Neden Hunter wrote:
> The version of MAME I'm using is 0.169 on Fedora 23 i686. (MAME and MESS has
> joined code bases).
>
> I have tried changing the extension of the NitrOS-9 .dsk images to .os9 as
> suggested... but MAME spits out an "Error: Invalid image" error.
>
> I have submitted a bug report to the MAME developers... but this has largely
> gone ignored.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> I'm using MAME (MESS) until next month... until I can get a CoCo3 off eBay... I
> got my eyes set on one...
>
> First time poster, long time reader. Thanks for this mailing list.

Generally when MAME/MESS does not like an .os9 disk it is because the size of
the file does not match the OS-9 info in LSN0. So the question is what images
are you trying to mount and what url is their source. I can easily test an image
and tell you what is causing the problem. It is not likely that the version of
MESS/MAME is involved.

You will find that many disk .os9 files are not complete in that empty portions
at the end of the disk are missing.

There is no reason to stop using MAME/MESS after acquiring a real Coco3. You
will find that it is very convenient to use MESS in conjunction with your Coco
to move files to disks and do debugging with the MESS debugger. You will also
want to use Drivewire so that your Coco can talk to your PC.

Robert