[Coco] CoCo Supercomputer Idea

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 15 04:53:09 EST 2016

On 12/01/2016 8:37 AM, Richard E. Crislip wrote:

> Also I was wondering is multiple DE-1's
> stacked together a viable solution?

On larger FPGA's (dev boards) you could simply instantiate multiple
CoCo3FPGA cores with fast I/O interconnect for a more elegant solution,
should you be interested in such a thing. You could even instantiate
"headless" cores that don't waste FPGA logic on unneeded video hardware,
for example.

Another possibility that people were looking at back when FPGA's were
smaller was instantiating a single core but having it time-multiplex
between multiple contexts. Of course you're trading off CPU speed but it
would be something to consider if the aim is to produce a cluster of
stock Coco hardware (or equivalent).

Regards,