[Coco] rom swap with eprom?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Jan 12 02:48:00 EST 2016

I always figured that omitting some pins on cartridge edge connectors was
for a reason other than RS saving some minuscule amount, though that is
also a possiblity.  I think it was to minimize the chance of damaging the
CoCo if someone unwisely inserted or removed a cartridge with the power
on.  This would be likely if the 12V line got shorted to an adjacent pin in
the course of a slightly askew insertion or removal.  I never checked if
the missing pins included the 12V one and the ones next to it, but I bet
that is the case.

(I once damaged my CoCo 1 in its early days by absent-mindedly inserting a
cartridge with power on, but it was a third party one that had no missing
pins.  Coincidence?  I think not.)

Art