[Coco] Formatting L.R. Tech Hard Drive in OS9 Level II

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Tue Jan 12 00:53:37 EST 2016

I would suggest mounting a drive wire bootable disk such as http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks/nos96809l2v030300coco3_dw.dsk in drive /X0, drive 0 on your DriveWire server. Mount the NitrOS9 disk you want to copy to an actual floppy in /X1, drive 1 on your DriveWire server. Load this cassette wav file if you do not have HDBDOS in rom so you can boot straight from DriveWire: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RnV5G0TZFZalV5T0IyUjFLOUk/view?usp=sharing
If you have HDBDOS in rom, you can skip straight to the DOS command below, otherwise type:
CLOADM
And play the wav file to your CoCo 3's cassette input.
When it is loaded, type:
EXEC
Then when the HDBDOS screen appears, type:
DOS
NitrOS9 should start to boot. Once NitrOS9 is loaded from DriveWire, type:
Assuming the disk you are copying to floppy is 40 track double sided, type:
dmode /d0 sid=2 cyl=28 dns=0 typ=20 sct=12 t0s=12
format /d0
backup /x1 /d0 #40k

You should now have a copy of the disk that is in DriveWire drive 1 to physical drive 0, if it was a bootable disk, the copy should be bootable as well. If you do not have HDBDOS in rom, you may want to download HDBDW4.DSK from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8RnV5G0TZFZcEVac0dtWUxVU1E/view?usp=sharing
Copy that to a 35 track Disk Extended Basic floppy. That way next time you want to boot from DriveWire you can LOADM"HDBDW4C3.BIN" from floppy instead of loading HDBDOS from cassette.