[Coco] Latest Release of the VCC Color Computer 3

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Jan 10 17:49:09 EST 2016

Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 07:43:53 -0800
From: Steve Batson <steve_batson at yahoo.com>

I'm so spoiled by the features of modern Computers and Operating Systems It's very difficult for me to stay motivated to program the CoCo if I have to resort to archaic editors and jump through the hoops one must often do to move from the PC to the CoCo and back. I think with VCC, we have the opportunity to do much of the work on a modern system and then move to the CoCo for final testing.

What I'd really love to see in VCC is ability to cut and paste and/or more easily move data back and forth between the Virtual Disk Files and Windows and any other features that would streamline programing on the PC and transferring between CoCo and PC. Let's face it, doing things like using the Edit features in BASIC is cumbersome and slow no matter how well you have the control keys memorized and how fast you can type. I'm sure the same is true with other languages on the Coco.

Being able to sit at my primary computer where I have the most comfortable setup and everything I need a few mouse clicks away would greatly enhance comfort, productivity, etc. :)
Hmm... you could save any code as an ASCII text file and easily transfer to the CoCo and back using Drivewire. That would work for DECB (BASIC) anyway. That is if you have a text processor that will save in ASCII text format. I was saving all my stuff in RTF, but have discovered that recent (within the last six months!) word processors don't like RTF any more. I am using Libre Office but when I upgraded a few months ago I had all kinds of issues loading and saving as RTF. File sizes quadrupled for one thing, and it takes forever to load a file. The latest MS Word wouldn't even read an RTF created by Libre Write. Started using ODT and everything is fine. I just don't understand how or why the file format was corrupted on an update. Libre Office must convert the tile when loading and saving.  Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548