[Coco] OS-9/68K raw disk access syntax

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Jan 2 10:31:48 EST 2016

On 01/02/2016 08:19 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Joel Ewy wrote:
>
>> On 01/01/2016 07:34 PM, David Ladd wrote:
>>>
>>> I might be wrong, but if memory serves me I think the MM/1's OS-9/68K
>>> formatted floppies sectors per track starts at 0 rather than 1 like
>>> some of
>>> the older floppy formats use to be.  So may have to take that into
>>> account.  Sadly I can't verify this at this time as my MM/1 is
>>> currently
>>> packed away.​
>>>

>> You're right about that, as I've discovered.  I think that's causing
>> me a problem when trying to image the disks with 'dd' under LInux on
>> a PC.
>
> I know you are resistant to using ImageDisk, but it has no issues at
> all with non-standard sector numbering.  If you do not want to use a
> Microsoft product for diskette reading (and I don't really blame you),
> then I would think FreeDOS should fill the bill without paying The Bill.

Well, I'm not that much of a fundamentalist about it.  I've got a few
computers with working Windows installations lying around -- 1 with
Windows 98 that I use specifically to read and write disk images for a
TRS-80 Model 3 and 4.  But at this point I just want to understand
what's going on, because I seem to still have a problem even if the
floppy disks I format on the MM/1 are made with soffs=1.  If that
doesn't make them readable, then there's more going on here that I want
to understand.

JCE