[Coco] OS-9/68K raw disk access syntax

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 1 23:02:52 EST 2016

On Friday 01 January 2016 22:39:53 Joel Ewy wrote:

> On 01/01/2016 07:34 PM, David Ladd wrote:
> > ​​
> > I might be wrong, but if memory serves me I think the MM/1's
> > OS-9/68K formatted floppies sectors per track starts at 0 rather
> > than 1 like some of the older floppy formats use to be.  So may have
> > to take that into account.  Sadly I can't verify this at this time
> > as my MM/1 is currently packed away.

> You're right about that, as I've discovered.  I think that's causing
> me a problem when trying to image the disks with 'dd' under LInux on a
> PC.
>
> JCE

Sadly, there are fdc chipsets built into some good motherboards that any
attempt to read or write a coco's 256 byte sector will take the machine
down, with the only recourse being the hardware reset button and a full
reboot done.

This machine, with a nearly $300 when new Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mother
board in it, is one such machine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)