[Coco] 720kb Diskettes

Theodore (Alex) Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Sun Feb 28 23:54:05 EST 2016

On 02/28/2016 09:04 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Sarcasm isn't quite the correct reaction Alex.

It was a poor choice.  Choosing dns=1 for 3.5" floppies always has
caused more trouble than choosing dns=3 would have especially since the
original OS-9 Level II disks for the CoCo don't have the dmode command.
  I suppose that if one were to use a 40 track 3.5" floppy (still
135tpi) formatted with dns=1 using a dns=3 descriptor you would have
similar problems, but I am inclined to think that these are fairly rare
given that the original OS-9 Level II for the CoCo shipped with an 80
track descriptor (yes for 5.25" floppies) that used dns=3.  While this
is covered in the NitrOS9 docs and maybe in the original Microware docs
all that the Coo OS-9 docs indicate is for 48tpi and 96tpi for 5.25"
floppies.  It says squat about 135 tpi and squat about 3.5" floppies.
So, it is 1986 or so and you have just gotten a 720k 3.5" floppy drive
for your coco.  You want to use it under OS-9.  What do you do?  Use the
descriptor you have or edit a new?  You probably are going to use the
one one you have.

Yes, the current consensus seems to be that we should use dns=1 for 720k
3.5" floppies.  The point is that the argument that no one used 3.5"
floppies with anything other than 135 tpi on a CoCo and therefore we
should use dns=1 because we don't have to worry about double stepping
has never held any water.  In addition to image file which have whatever
parameters they may have, if you have a 720k 3.5" floppy and a 720k
5.25" floppy on the same machine, you have to mess around with dmode,
then edit LSN0 if you want to use the backup command from one to the other.