[Coco] New CoCo'er, Some Q's and looking for hardware

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:44:21 EST 2016

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, admin at kd8cgo.com wrote:

> I am very interested in the RGB2VGA project, that is great.  I see it
> might not be the cheapest, but it seems like a great community-driven
> option - I see someone is even making 3D printed cases for it now after
> some more search-fu!  I don't mind soldering, so if it's just a PCB and
> I can digikey the components, that's OK with me.  I hope the DE0 Nano
> has a Linux toolchain.  I've never worked with an FPGA before!  Get back
> to me if you'd be willing to sell one.

I have tried just about every RGB-to-VGA conversion mechanism in existance
(Roy's converter being a notable exception) and find the RGB2VGA to be the
nicest display.  As an added bonus, it works quite well on a number of
other classic systems.  I recently restored a Dimension 68000 (very
unusual early-80s system with 68K, Z80, 8080 and 6502 CPU plugins) and the
RGB2VGA provided a terrific display from its composite out after modifying
the sources per Luis's suggestion.

The Altera toolchain is available as a free-as-in-beer download and works
fine on recent Linux distros.  I'm currently using Quartus II 15.0 under
Ubuntu 14.04.