[Coco] New CoCo'er, Some Q's and looking for hardware

admin at kd8cgo.com admin at kd8cgo.com
Thu Feb 25 12:20:13 EST 2016

On 02/25/2016 04:51 PM, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 23:29:24 +0000
> "admin at kd8cgo.com" <admin at kd8cgo.com> wrote:
>

>> Barry, I think Zippster might be able to hook me up with some of
>> these components, that would be a great head start for me!  If not,
>> that SCART option looks like it does a pretty high quality picture
>> too, very nice!
>>
>> I had come across VCC, but it doesn't seem to have a Linux version
>> unless I missed it.   I'll keep an eye on it, I had thought about
>> looking into emulators, took a look at MAME/MESS and looked like I
>> would need to devote a few hours to figuring that one out, I may get
>> around to it though...
>>
>> First I had seen of the Color Computer Archive, too!  I'm not sure
>> how I missed that one in my searching previously, that's a bookmark
>> for sure.
>>
>> I have some younger nieces and nephews, not local, I wonder if they
>> are computer geeks like I was as a kid...   There is something very
>> pure about booting up right into a development environment that is
>> lost with newer hardware, I think.  I love the Raspberry Pi, Arduino
>> et al, but this takes me to a time before most computers were seen as
>> appliances... now replaced for most with locked down proprietary
>> smart phones and tablets, ugh.  No one's going to learn coding on one
>> of those, most likely.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --John, kd8cgo
>>

> VCC will run with Wine on linux. It can be a little flaky (my
> experience) but it does work.

I may give VCC a shot under Wine, I'll have to install it as I don't
think I'm running anything with it at the moment.  Is VCC preferred to
MAME/MESS, or just another alternative?

As for CoCoFest, I can't make any promises this close to the date with
vacation scheduling and prior commitments, but it sounds like a fun
event!  What is the attendance usually like at these?

Thanks,

--John, kd8cgo