[Coco] Mess is a mess.... again....

Christopher R. Hawks chawks at dls.net
Wed Feb 24 22:57:29 EST 2016

http://mamedev.org/release.html I compile it on Slakware and Raspbian.

> Another thing I've noticed in almost every version I've downloaded
> for the past two years is that in the "Natural" keyboard the arrow
> keys are locked out. This seems to have something to do with them
> being setup for joystick emulation or something, but I can't find any
> setting to unlock them (tried the input mapping). They seem to work
> in "Emulated" but I hate that keyboard (maybe I need to remap this
> one). I even use an AT keyboard on my real Coco so I'm in no way
> familiar with the old Coco layout anymore. In OS9 C, I need to get to
> "[ ] { } \ |" and I can never remember the odd key combinations for
> them.

    I've got a patch for the arrow keys in 0.153. I haven't had a chance
to add my patches to 0.170 yet. They include only building the
coco/dragon stuff and bypassing the ROM checks so I can use HDBDOS with
ease.

> They seemed to have finally straightened out the timing in 1.70. Back
> in the 15x releases, there was a delay on the key reads and the video
> was jerky (scrolling). I couldn't set anything that would get rid of
> it. That seems to be gone. The Becker port seems to be working better
> now as well, but I haven't tested it extensively (seems a little
> slow).
>
> I actually like the way this version runs if I can get rid of those
> "5.25 Quad Density Floppy Drives" and fix the arrow keys in the
> "Natural" keyboard setting.
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft