[Coco] ok i am learning but not fast enough

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 04:01:37 EST 2016

Tormod, there a whole lot more to it than just that disk. This is why there needs to be a turtorial and a place to get it all...
A disk like this first needs hdbdos and a dual partitioned vhd. This disk is backed up to disk 255. You must already have the os9 part of the vhd populated and have yor OS9Boot file there. So your disk and a 2md disk with a complete boot must be generated to have a source to copy to the OS9 partition. You want the kernel and OS9Boot generated from the same source set.
Now you need Robert Gault's hdbdos boot tools... I think they also adapted them for hdbdos at cloud9 as well. I know Robert's are available on his site.
These tools are in DECB and it's a couple or three of utilities. First you need to know the size (in sectors) of the OS9 partiton. There is a utility in the tools called "SPEC.BAS". If you don't already know the OS9 size, you run SPEC.BAS. Once you have the OS9 partition size, (typically $5A000), you POKE this value into RGB/HDBDOS as:
POKE&HD938,5:POKE&HD939,&HA0:POKE&HD93A,0
Without this, hdbdos will never even see the rsdos partition. Now hdbdos knows where the partition is (hence people wanting custom roms with the offset). You can boot hdbdos again and it will see the vhd.
Next you have to BACKUP the 35trk disk to 255. Without a physical drive or an emulator, this is no easy task.
Once you have the disk backed up, you have to set it's LSN0 to it's new location (boot needs this). There a program in the tools named "LINK.BAS". When you run LINK.BAS, it will prompt you for the OS9 disk location, you type 255. It will set the LSN0) to the proper value.
Now, there's an "AUTOEXEC.BAS" file that has to be on disk 0. This program will auto start if found by hdbdos on startup. It is a menu that allows you to set a few things in hdbdos (DRIVEON/OFF, Speedup POKE, etc) but mainly it allows you to choose between BASIC and OS9, once you choose OS9, it will run "DOS" and boot OS9 from 255, which contains the "boot_dw" and once it inits, it loads OS9Boot from the OS9 partition.

Done deal.
Of course, all this only need be done once. After it's done, when you start your Coco, hdbdos automatically runs "AUTOEXEC.BAS and displays the menu.
I have my AUTOEXEC set to do a timeout.. if I don't hit a key in about 15-20 seconds, it boots OS9.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com