[Coco] format memory (was) Gotek floppy emulator

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 17 01:17:35 EST 2016

On Tuesday 16 February 2016 23:33:18 Christopher R. Hawks wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:04:21 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> > > Dear OS-9 experts, please bear with me and my lack of deep Level2
> > > understanding, I am in the need for a long Q&A session on this. I
> > > have read the "OS-9 system programmer's manual" from Microware
> > > which is the best piece on OS-9 internals that I have found. Are
> > > there other good texts, apart from reading the "source" code?
> > > "Source" in quotes, because a lot of it is half-commented
> > > disassembly of binaries :p
> > >
> > > OK, so you have 11k free. I suppose this is system memory (limited
> > > to 64KB), whereas programs can use their own 64KB user memory
> > > mapped in from the big pool (512KB to 2MB).

> > > Format needs 11120 bytes of user memory, right? This is the data
> > > segment pointed to by U upon execution of the module, in the
> > > process' own memory space.
> > >
> > > I can well imagine that formatting a disk requires some system
> > > memory as well (for buffers etc used during system call) - and
> > > this is maybe the reason it goes south for you - but the 11120
> > > bytes for format and the 11k free system RAM cannot be directly
> > > compared, right?
> > >
> > > I would be interested in knowing why format needs 11120 bytes
> > > (user memory) for doing what it does, and whether this can be
> > > reduced. But that is probably not very useful, since we can assume
> > > people should have that much of free /user/ memory when doing such
> > > tasks.
> > >
> > > The more interesting question is whether format can be made to
> > > consume less system memory. There is no F$ system memory requests
> > > in the source, only innocent I/O calls from what I can see.
> > >
> > > Off-topic question: Why is allocation bit map routines (F$AllBit
> > > and friends) system calls at all? They only operate on user
> > > memory, right?
> > >
> > > BTW, I just tried out format on my Level1 Dragon formatting a
> > > DriveWire drive, and it worked fine. It is the exact same binary
> > > as on Level2 systems (6809 and 6309 versions are identical too,
> > > CRC 0ABD19 in 3.3.0).
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tormod
> >
> > Those are questions I may not have a qualified answer for until I
> > can get rid of my startup file being locked forever, Tormod.  I wish
> > I did, thats for sure.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Gene:
>
>     If you hold the space bar at boot, startup will not be run.

I'll give that a try tomorrow Christopher, thanks.  I get the impression
from other things it is doing, that I need to do some card edge
cleaning.

At one point tonight, I was looking at the extended basic prompt, the
disk controller had disappeared.  Its been sitting for a good 10 months,
powered down. I may need to twiddle that PSU too, its a 20 yo boat
anchor from an early XT that had I scrapped 20 some years ago from the
tv station, who were replacing them with some off brand stuff with a 150
MHZ cpu in them.  Genuine speed demons, at the time.  But those old XT
psu's were built like a tank.  I'd druther consider some dried out caps
as they can make it cold blooded too. If I can get a dry floor under it,
I'll drag in my new 1GHz digital scope & see what I can see.

I had 2 30 meter USB cables hooking up drivewire and the printer on that
desk to the cups system on this machine, but when I stuffed them back
thru a hole in the floor and plugged them in, but were spamming the log,
steadily at about 10k a minute.  So I drug out a newer cable and plugged
it in, and thats working again, using the ehci driver this time, not the
older 12 Mhz ohci driver.  That should help too once I get it running
stable again.  A 4 port hub on the coco's desk lets one cable do it all.

The old ones have had their share of EMP insults as the basement isn't
powered from this room which has been lightning proofed & UPS'd.  Too
bad we can't buy a USB cable thats actually optical fiber and locally
powered on each end.  Without any copper in the cable, that would put a
stop to a heck of a lot of that.

OTOH, I haven't looked for such a critter either.

So anyway, dw is working.  And I need to check the psu and clean some
connectors.  And I still haven't found my round tuit.

> Christopher R. Hawks
> HAWKSoft
> --
> If a straight line fit is required, obtain only two data points.
>        \   ^__^
>
>                ||----w |

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)