[Coco] Gotek floppy emulator

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Feb 15 06:29:27 EST 2016

Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:32:03 -0500
From: Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com>

Frank, I see a problem right off with this unit...
It uses 1.44meg HD, 512 byte sectors at 500kbps...
The Coco uses 720k DD, 256 byte sectors...
There's no mention of being able to set the unit for the older 720k drives. IIRC, even on the real drives of that type, you had to modify them physically to make them work if they did not have jumpers. I doubt this usit could be modified in that way.
It's the very reason we can't use the real drives on the "newer" computers to read/write coco disks. The controller chipset was different for those drives and no longer supported 720k or 256 byte sectors.
If there's a 720k version of this, then GREAT!

Looking a little further on that site, I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3XT1DB1480&cm_re=usb_floppy_drive_emulator-_-9SIA3XT1DB1480-_-Product

It says "72k" but reading the specs, it says "720k" (typo?). This seems to be more what's needed :-)

All the rest on NewEgg seem to be 1.44 meg units.
I read the Gotek reviews, didn't look too closely at the specs on NewEgg. I assumed they were all the same, didn't realize there were two versions. Circuitry may be different due to the different disc formats, I'd have thought it was just software or firmware issue and setup would be the difference. Obviously that's wrong.
 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548