[Coco] "Ultimate" CoCoSDC Image

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Feb 14 17:22:57 EST 2016

Travis, please don't get the idea I was trying to discourage you, as I was not... just warning of some of the pitfalls. I've tried putting such images together myself and I only have DW4, so most RSDOS things would not run from a 256 disk VHD due to being hard coded to run from d0. CocoSDC would work much better for these applications. Needless to say, I eventually gave up.
NitrOS9 would be a different matter. Most OS9 software will run directly from the CMDS dir and up to a 4 gig image could be made to contain almost anything you wanted. Even most old OS9 games and software that was hard coded for /d0 & /d1 can be found already patch for /dd on L2.
The problem with OS9 games (and some software) is some of the games require a VDG boot and term_vdg, some require CoWin and Term_win, some require VRN and eithet VI or FTDD (and VDG), this goes for some of the software as well. To make a boot that has everything takes up too much system memory and then most of the programs can't run. It would take two to three individual boots and in some cases, L1 boots just run a majority of the OS9 stuff. Again... I gave up.

 Barry Nelson has put together one "Ultimate Image" that contains quite a bit of stuff, but it's set up to run from a VHD under RGBDOS. The RSDOS stuff would run fine under HDBDOS on about anything you run it on (emulator or real Coco), but in NitrOS9, the boots would have to be changed to reflect the type system it is run on.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com