[Coco] Coco 3 Memory Map Questions

Camillus camillus.b.58 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 19:08:01 EST 2016

How then would Arthur's experiment would be done practically?

Sent from Mailbird [http://www.getmailbird.com/?utm_source=Mailbird&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sent-from-mailbird]
On 2/10/2016 12:41:02 PM, Dave Philipsen <dave at davebiz.com> wrote:
All I'm saying is that when you make reference to $BFFx that address
does not exist within the ROM/EPROM because it is outside of the 32k
address range of the device. There is no A15 line on the device. When
the device is installed in the CoCo it is selected, effectively, when
the A15 line of the CoCo is hi putting it in the upper 32k bank of the
64k address range of the 6809.

When you speak of addresses in the ROM/EPROM from the standpoint of the
CoCo they are at $8000 - FFFF. When you speak of addresses in the same
device as a standalone device or in an EPROM programmer the addresses
are in the range of $0000 - 7FFF.

Your illustration of "64 K binair" below can never happen on the address
lines of a 6809 since it is using 17 bits to create that address. While
it's true that that binary number does represent 64K you must remember
that the CPU starts with the first address as zero so the highest
address possible on the 6809 address bus is actually FFFF (which can be
expressed using 16 bits). Since we started with 0000 that makes a full
64K range. It's just like saying the range of 0-9 is actually showing
ten different possibilities but we've never used the number 10.

Dave