[Coco] copy a file fom windows to NITROS9

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Feb 7 00:59:28 EST 2016

On Saturday 06 February 2016 23:43:45 camillus gmail wrote:

> Ok but then when sleuth reads the file, does it do that at a specific
> address?

Yes, any OS worthy of the name keeps a file pointer, which is offset from
byte zero to the next address in the file to read when more data is
needed.

> Because there is no header or what so ever in the BIN file I
> want to load, it is not even 6809 code but a hex dump 6502 that I want
> to translate.

I am not sure that the ready made copy on my site can do that, but it is
available in the source and can be built to do that I am sure.  The 6502
data translation tables are part of the source.

Prof Pass was a computer scientist before the phrase was popular, and I
have been saying, to anyone who wanted to read my prose since we had a
net and these mailing lists, that anyone who took his classes back in
the day should have kept copious notes because they were truly listening
and learning from a man who had mastered the craft. All the 65xx and
68xx code for those xx's that existed at the time is in there.  And if I
packed what I was using, so is the 6309 stuff, but whats on my site is
likely Buds code with the 8 char defininitions of os9 level 1 V2.00 That
I put in.  The code on the floppies from Bud was the original 5
character defines of the _original_ os9 level 1 specification.  In
todays world, that was rather worthless and I originally contacted the
good Professor to get his permission to update it, which he was more
than happy to grant.

> Then also, I can only get sleuth to work with a specific distro from
> Nitros9 (   VCCEmuDisk.vhd), on Nitros9 that came with the starter
> pack ( vcc + DW4 ) it gives me an "no permission error", when I look
> in the attributes with attr there is no difference in settings.

This gets into the FD sector of the filesystem its stored in if its even
an os9 file system, which is a table that tells the OS where the file
actually is, how long it is, and if in pieces, where all the pieces are.
Those sorts of problems can sometimes be solved with judicious use of
dEd to adjust something in the fd sector.  If you look at that directory
with dEd, the last 3 bytes of each 32 byte entry is the address of the
FD sector.  And while it could be correct, if the file is from a
different OS originally, it will NOT have the usual 11 byte header that
os9 expects. For sleuth, you may have to start it in the disassemble
mode at the first byte.  Or better yet if you can locate a document that
describes THAT filesystems treatment of a binary file and make a mode
config file to that spec, describing what those first, say 16 bytes are,
before sleuth can begin to make sense of it.

You may want to look at the method you used to copy the file onto a
medium that os9 might be able to decipher.  You may also want to
consider that I am dragging this out of 25 year old memory too. :(

> All new and mysterious ...LOL

Its a steep curve, but very educational when the lights do come on.

And I know nothing of running it on any emulator. The only one I've ever
fooled with was wine, and I have a rather profane opinion of that POS.

But it did run on my 6309 equiped coco3.

Unforch, I have no remote access to it at the moment, I needed the hole
in the floor for a cat5 cable, and the 10 meter USB2 cable I was using
for DW access was removed to make room for the cat5 when I installed
another machine with LinuxCNC on it in the garage this past summer. I
need to bring in one of my drills, with a spare freshly charged battery
and make another hole in the floor to get that USB cable back into this
room & plugged into some port that doesn't have any slow usb stuff
plugged into it.  My usb "tree" here is a weeping willow if drawn out on
paper.  But from past experience, I need to bring in a razor knife &
clear away the shag rug from where I am going to make the hole. It gets
tangled up on the spade bit & its hard to get it back out of the hole
when that happens.

> Now I'm going to try it with the DE1
>
> cb
>
> On 2/6/2016 9:58:55 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>
> On Saturday 06 February 2016 20:35:41 Camillus wrote:
> > Thanks Dave,
> >
> > But I used Bill's mshell to do the job, very cool.
> >
> > I do have a question, how can I get a binary file ( rom image ) into
> > os9's memory to use it with sleuth. Sleuth seems not have a command
> > to load anything in memory.
>
> That is because sleuth loads the named file from the disk, in sector
> sized buffers IIRC. Its the same with its address vs data type file,
> that is an editable file on the disk but is loaded on a line by line
> basis in alternating buffers IIRC.
>
> > The only way I can think of doing this is writing a basic09 loader
> > and go from there.
> >
> > Any suggestions, or is this something toolshed can do too?
> >
> > camillus
> >
> > Sent from Mailbird
> > [http://www.getmailbird.com/?utm_source=Mailbird&utm_medium=email&ut
> >m_ campaign=sent-from-mailbird] On 2/6/2016 3:43:52 PM, Dave
> > Philipsen wrote: There are a bunch of tools available in a
> > package called Toolshed to do exactly what you want to do. The
> > documentation is here:
> > http://sourceforge.net/p/toolshed/wiki/Documentation/
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On 2/6/2016 3:16 PM, Camillus wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Anyone can tell me how to copy a file from windows ( e.g.
> > > D:\651.bin ) to a dsk image on floppy drive 0 ( VCC ) ?
> > >
> > > Thanx for setting this os9 newbee on te right track.
> > >

> > > cb
> >
> > --
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)