[Coco] Coco 3 Memory Map Questions

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sat Feb 6 23:04:11 EST 2016

Looking at my Coco3, I'm trying to understand the nature of some of the
memory decisions.  Is there a document that describes the layout and why
the system is configured this way.  Specifically, I'm hoping to find a
document or web site that helps me understand:

  * Why did Tandy make the memory 16 bits wide, when GIME has an 8 bit
    data path?
      o Also, I noticed one of the data paths has a latch, while the
        other has just buffers.  Why?
  * Was it really Tandy's plan that anyone who upgrades their Coco3 has
    to pull all of the existing RAM?
  * And, why do all of the 512kB upgrades want you to clip C65/C66?  I
    assume it helps the signal, but what if someone like myself wants
    the additional memory but would rather not modify their machine?
  * If the GIME MMUEN bit is off, does that mean that only the lowest
    64kB of memory is in scope?
  * $ffde:  If you select a RAM/ROM mode, but have the MMU enabled, what
    happens?

I figured all of this is on some page (got some information from Sock's
GIME page), but I couldn't find the above tonight yet.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com